Robinson Cano took another step toward becoming a Met, landing at JFK Airport late Sunday night in advance of Monday’s physical for the megadeal. And he’s happy to return to the Big Apple.
“It’s good to be back in New York,” Cano told the New York Post after flying in from the Dominican Republic.
The second baseman is part of a trade, agreed upon Saturday, that sends Cano and closer Edwin Diaz to the Mets in exchange for Jay Bruce, Anthony Swarzak, Jarred Kelenic, Justin Dunn and Gerson Bautista to the Mariners, pending physicals and MLB approval. Seattle would reportedly also give $20 million to New York.
SNY’s Andy Martino first reported the Mets were being “aggressive” on a potential Cano deal.
On Sunday night, the eight-time All-Star and ex-Yankee was optimistic that he’d pass his physical and said he spoke to Mets GM Brodie Van Wagenen before deciding to waive his no-trade clause.
“For me this season is motivating” Cano said. “It’s blessed always to wear a uniform, be able to play in the big leagues, to play sharp. Mets uniform, there is a lot of pride, a lot of good history and I’m ready to go.”
Last season Cano served an 80-game suspension after testing positive for a banned substance and hit .303/.374/.471 with 10 homers and 50 RBI. He’d be returning to New York, where he spent nine years in pinstripes, after joining Seattle for the 2014 season.
The 36-year-old is impressed by the other major piece in the deal: Diaz. The 24-year-old closer led the league with 57 saves in 2018.
“You guys see that last year,” Cano said. “He’s young, good arm, smart too.”